The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) has announced $9,807,162 million in FY18 funding for Virginia National Service programs. These federal funds will ensure 1,448 AmeriCorps members can continue to volunteer their service to communities across the Commonwealth through nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and faith-based groups. These funds will support national service members serving through AmeriCorps programs throughout the state.
Members serve in many of Virginia’s most impoverished communities providing vital support -- from helping to tackle the opioid crisis to protecting historic public lands. These members serve in schools, homeless shelters, youth centers, veteran service facilities, and other nonprofit organizations at a time of growing demand for services.
As part of this public-private partnership approach, CNCS requires grantees to leverage additional resources to strengthen community impact and increase the return on the federal investment. The total AmeriCorps State program grant for the coming year is $4,100,251 with the local cash and in-kind match providing an additional $3,977,450 million to support national service in Virginia. In addition, AmeriCorps members who complete a full year of service can earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of up to $5,920.
Recently the Virginia State Service Commission, operating within the Virginia Department of Social Services, announced the following portfolio of Virginia AmeriCorps State programs for 2018/19:
- Aspire! Afterschool Learning - Learning Links: Arlington
- Beans and Rice, Inc. - U Serv: Pulaski
- Boys and Girls Club of Lynchburg - Academic Success Programming - Lynchburg
- CARITAS AmeriCorps: Richmond
- CASA Citizenship Virginia AmeriCorps Program: Woodbridge/Arlington
- Carroll County Public Schools - LIFT UP AmeriCorps: Hillsville
- City of Richmond – Richmond AmeriCorps Healthy Futures Project: Richmond
- DCR - Virginia Service and Conservation Corps: Multiple Locations
- Institute for Advanced Learning & Research - Dan River Year AmeriCorps: Danville
- Institute for Advanced Learning & Research - SERVEIT: Danville
- Rappahannock Goodwill Industries - Goodskills Literacy Corps: Multiple Locations
- The Advancement Foundation - TAF AmeriCorps: Vinton
- The Literacy Lab - Virginia Reading Corps: Alexandria/Central Virginia
- UVA - Virginia College Advising Corps: Multiple Locations
- VCU Professional Corps: Richmond
- Virginia Department of Education: Statewide