National Preparedness Month (NPM), recognized each September, provides an opportunity to remind us that we all must prepare ourselves and our families now and throughout the year. This NPM will focus on planning, with an overarching theme: Disasters Happen. Prepare Now. Learn How.
Take time to learn lifesaving skills − such as CPR and first aid, check your insurance policies and coverage for the hazards you may face, such as flood, earthquakes, and tornados. Make sure to consider the costs associated with disasters and save for an emergency. Also, know how to take practical safety steps like shutting off water and gas.
The devastating hurricanes and wildfires of 2017 reminded the nation of the importance of preparing for disasters. Often, we will be the first ones in our communities to take action after a disaster strikes and before first responders arrive, so it is important to prepare in advance to help yourself and your community.
2018 Weekly Themes
- Week 1: Sept 1-8 Make and Practice Your Plan
- Week 2: Sept 9-15* Learn Life Saving Skills
- Week 3: Sept 16-22 Check Your Insurance Coverage
- Week 4: Sept 23-29 Save For an Emergency
- September 15 is a National Day of Action
Graphics, Videos, and Related links
Check out tips and ideas to promote preparedness. For more engaging messages, attach appropriately sized graphics for specific social media platforms (e.g. Twitter, Facebook) and add emoji’s.
- 2018 National Preparedness Month logo (.png)
- 2018 National Preparedness Month high resolution logo (.eps)
- 2018 National Preparedness Month promotional flyer (.pdf)
- 2018 National Preparedness Month logo in Spanish (Español .png)
- 2018 National Preparedness Month logo in Spanish (Español .eps)
- 2018 NPM Toolkit in Spanish (found on Listo.gov)
- Copy and paste our web content; just use Ready.gov as a source
- Don’t forget to include emergency preparedness messages in your social media, email signature, monthly newsletters, or other messaging tools
- Share public service announcements and instructional videos
- FloodSmart Survivor public service annoucements
- Print, share, or order FREE emergency preparedness publications
- Download the FEMA app for disaster resources, weather alerts, and safety tips
- Sign up for preparedness text messages: Text PREPARE to 43362 (4FEMA) to receive preparedness tips. (msg/data rates apply)
- Share preparedness information from Ready.gov in 12 other languages