Virginia’s AmeriCorps State Programs will take time out to honor 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance for the national service holiday. AmeriCorps members will actively recruit volunteers for a variety of projects – from cleaning parks to assembling packages for military members. The following are a few of the projects planned:
- CARITAS AmeriCorps (Sept. 10 in Richmond) members and volunteers will sort items at the FeedMore warehouse.
- Carroll Co. Public Schools – LIFT UP AmeriCorps (Sept. 11 in Carroll County) members and volunteers have been collecting hygiene kits for a local group home and will be sorting and distributing the donations on 9/11.
- The Literacy Lab – Virginia Reading Corps (Sept. 8 in Richmond) members and volunteers will assemble care packages for U.S active-duty service members, as well as clean up Cannon Creek Park.
- University of Virginia – Virginia College Advising Corps (Sept. 18 in Charlottesville) AmeriCorps members and volunteers will participate in a City of Charlottesville Cleanup Project clearing trails and removing invasive plants species.
- City of Richmond Healthy Futures Project (Sept. 11 in Richmond) members and volunteers will attend the City of Richmond 9/11 Ceremony at Kanawha Plaza downtown and participate in service projects around the city. Flyer
For more information on how you can serve on 9/11 Day visit the following websites for volunteer activities and events: