Make 2019 a year to focus on service! Kick off the new year by planning to serve on the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service, January 21st. What kind of projects are available across Virginia? For a complete list of projects, visit MLK.gov or contact your local volunteer center. Here's a few volunteer projects to get you started:
- City of Richmond's 2019 MLK Day Service and Remembrance Event (Richmond) - Volunteers can choose to serve at one of eight different service projects. Review projects and sign up
- Volunteer Alexandria MLK Day of Service (Alexandria) - Projects will include assembling emergency preparedness starter kits, sorting donated food and creating no-sew blankets. There are opportunities for volunteers of all ages!
UMR MLK Day Service Project (Annandale) - UMR will engage the community in serious discussion on preparedness and safety education. The activities for the day will include interactive disaster prep stations and educational resources. More
- MLK School Supply Drive (Richmond) - HandsOn Greater Richmond, Richmond Public Schools, University of Richmond - Bonner Center for Civic Engagement and Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities join together for an MLK Day School Supply Drive. Community members can join together to support RPS by collecting and donating school supplies, which will be distributed to RPS schools in January 2019. https://www.handsonrva.org/opportunity/a0C1J00000GTfaTUAT
- MLK Day Service Projects Through HandsOn Greater Richmond (Richmond) - A wide variety of projects are available for volunteers! https://www.handsonrva.org/search?sort_c=&sort_o=&opportunity_id=&page=1
- Pleasants Lane Elementary School Beautification Project (Petersburg) - Virginia Reading Corps tutors and volunteers will be working on indoor and outdoor projects. For more information, contact email@example.com.
- Morning of Service and Celebration at Historic Evergreen Cemetery (Richmond) - Volunteers will be clearing weeds and recording grave information as we restore grace and glory to the final resting place for thousands of heroes who emerged from the shadow of slavery and segregation and became beacons of American achievement. There will also be a making special announcement about the permanent protection of Evergreen as a sacred public space that represents our shared values of freedom, service, and opportunity. Sign up
- Aspire! Afterschool Learning Book Drive and Sorting Event (Arlington) - AmeriCorps members and volunteers will participate in a volunteer training for those interested in reading with their students and also host a book drive organization event where volunteers help members catalogue newly donated books so they can distribute them among their classrooms and to students for their personal libraries. For more information, contact Andrea Reigle, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Beans and Rice and Radford University MLK Day Event (Pulaski) - Volunteers will participate in a project with students from Pulaski Middle School and Dublin Middle School. Service activities will include making blankets for retirement home and animal shelter, making dog toys for local shelter, painting motivational rocks for walking trails, and making cookies and cards for first responders. For more information, contact Pam Whitesell, email@example.com.
- Boys and Girls Club of Lynchburg Neighborhood Cleanup Project (Lynchburg) - Members and volunteers will be performing a neighborhood cleanup project. For more information, contact Kayla Fuqua, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carroll County Public Schools MLK Projects (Hillsville) - AmeriCorps members will host a breakfast for the members of the VFW POST 1115 for a morning of food and fellowship to show appreciation for their service. For more information, contact Tonyia Gibson, , email@example.com.
- CASA Edu-Futuro Moving Forward MLK Day Project (Arlington and Manassas) - AmeriCorps members and volunteers will participate in various community service projects around Arlington, including a park clean up, sorting books and supplies, and distributing food. AmeriCorps members will also participate in various service projects, including financial education, Know Your Rights and Immigration in Manassas. For more information, contact Emily Stanislawzyk, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Institute for Advanced Learning and Research MLK Day Project (Danville) - AmeriCorps members and volunteer will take part in a two-part service project to serve local veterans and their families. The program will host a free pancake breakfast to veterans and their families to support veteran hunger while also thanking them for their service and sacrifice to this country. Local middle school students will write thank you cards to the vets. For more information, contact Jessica Beebe, email@example.com.
- Rappahannock Goodwill - Goodskills Literacy Corps MLK Day Event (Fredericksburg) - AmeriCorps members and volunteers will create "welcome home bags" for people who are entering housing from previously being homeless. For more information, contact Shanna Boutchyard, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Virginia College Advising Corps MLK Day Project (Charlottesville) - AmeriCorps members will be hosting a screening of "Personal Statement,” a documentary about three seniors at Brooklyn high schools who are determined to get their entire classes to college, even though they aren't even sure they are going to make it there themselves. For more information, visit https://vcac.virginia.edu/personal-statement-documentary-screening.