AmeriCorps State programs operate through the Virginia Office on Volunteerism and Community Services, which serves as the Virginia Service Commission. Additional AmeriCorps funding is available through the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) and is distributed directly to state, multi-state, and national organizations through a competitive grants process. For AmeriCorps State, OVCS accepts applications from:
- Faith-based organizations
- Community organizations
- Higher education institutions
- Public agencies
Grants assist these groups in recruiting, training and placing members to meet critical community needs in education, economic opportunity, veteran and military family services, health, the environment, and disaster services across Virginia.
Local programs design service activities for their team of members serving full- or part-time for one year or during the summer. Sample activities include tutoring and mentoring youth, assisting crime victims, building homes, and restoring parks. AmeriCorps members also mobilize community volunteers and strengthen the capacity of their organizations. For more information on National Service in Virginia, contact AmeriCorpsInfo@dss.virginia.gov.
- AmeriCorps: The Basics
- Getting Started with AmeriCorps
- Use the AmeriCorps Organization Fit Finder
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Terms and Conditions for CNCS Grants
- Corporation for National and Community Service Website - You'll find a wealth of information including AmeriCorps basics and terminology, and essentials related to logic models and performance measures.
AmeriCorps State Application Process
The Virginia Department of Social Services, Office on Volunteerism and Community Services (which serves as the Virginia Service Commission for the Commonwealth of Virginia), accepts responses to Request for Proposals for AmeriCorps State Formula and Competitive programs. In 2019 the Virginia Service Commission will only be accepting proposals from Continuation Programs and not be accepting new program proposals until 2020. Stay up-to-date on the latest information by signing up for email alerts. Sign up
Have more questions about AmeriCorps? Email us at AmeriCorpsInfo@dss.virginia.gov or call Joy Wade at 804-726-7527.
More Helpful Information
- 2018 AmeriCorps State Formula RFA
- Certification Regarding Lobbying
- W-9 Taxpayer Identification Numbers
- Budget Worksheet
- AmeriCorps Prohibited Activities
- AmeriCorps Prohibitied Activities More
- Performance Measure Information
- Notice of Federal Funding Opportunity
- 2018 AmeriCorps Application Instructions
- 2018 AmeriCorps State and National Mandatory Supplemental Guidance
- AmeriCorps Comparison Chart (NCCC/VISTA/AmeriCorps State)