National Service Awards
AmeriCorps and Senior Corps members serving in Virginia who have performed outstanding service to their communities are honored annually at the Virginia Volunteerism and Service Conference. The third annual Virginia National Service Awards were presented on May 7, 2019, at the Volunteerism Conference to honor six amazing winners. Read about this year's winners!
The 2020 Awards will be presented in May 2020 in the following categories:
- AmeriCorps State (Robert E. Wone Award for Exemplary Service)
- AmeriCorps VISTA
- Senior Corps (Foster Grandparents)
- Senior Corps (RSVP)
- Senior Corps (Senior Companions)
- National Service Alum
These awards are presented by the Virginia Service Foundation and the Governor's Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism.
Guidelines & Questions
How do I submit a nomination?
- The nomination process for the 2019 National Service Awards has closed. Once the nomination process begins again, nominators will be able to submit their nomination online.
- Helpful Tip: Save your submission entries in a word processing application such as Microsoft Word, then copy and paste the entries into the online form. Each answer is limited to 300 words.
- If you are unable to submit the form online you may email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
How long is the nomination period?
- The nomination period begins in early February and lasts until late March. All nominations must be RECEIVED, submitted online, no later than 5:00 p.m., on the deadline date. Any incomplete nomination or nomination received after 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date will not be considered.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companion, Foster Grandparent, or RSVP awards?
- The nominator must be a current Virginia grantee, sponsor, or site supervisor in one of the following five (5) national service categories: AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, or RSVP.
- The nominator or organization must be able to absorb the travel expenses of the awardee.
- Winners must be present at the awards ceremony to win this award.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the National Service Alum award?
- Anyone may nominate someone for the category of National Service Alum. Alums must currently reside in Virginia, however, they may have served elsewhere.
How many total awards will be given?
- A total of six (6) awards will be given:
- AmeriCorps State Member of the Year (Robert E. Wone Award)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Member of the Year
- Foster Grandparent of the Year
- Senior Companion of the Year
- Retired and Senior Volunteer of the Year
- National Service Alum of the Year
May I nominate someone for a category that is not on the nomination form?
- Nominees must be eligible under one of the following six (6) categories: AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, RSVP, or National Service Alum.
How many nominations may I submit?
- For National Service Members:
- Each nominee may submit only ONE (1) nomination per stream of service (for example, if your organization has AmeriCorps VISTA, AmeriCorps State and RSVP members serving, you can nominate one person for each of those categories.) Keep in mind that it is allowed to have multiple individuals from the same program nominating members. (For example, a program director and several site supervisors from the same program may nominate individuals in the same category.) We want to hear as many great stories as possible!
- For National Service Alums:
- The nominator may submit one nomination.
Who reviews the nominations?
- Nominations are reviewed by members of the Governor's Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism.
When will I be notified regarding the status of my nomination?
- You will be notified if your nominee has been selected as an award winner in April.
What are the details regarding the 2020 Virginia National Service Awards Ceremony?
- The awards ceremony luncheon will take place in May 2020 in Richmond, at the 2020 Virginia Volunteerism and Service Conference.
- Winners must be present at this ceremony to win their award.
If I have further questions, where may I call or e-mail for assistance?
- You may contact Kimberly Brown at 804-726-7069 or email email@example.com.