Youth Service America just posted these fantastic last minute ideas for honor the MLK Day of Service holiday! It’s not too late to volunteer in your community. Check out opportunities at http://www.allforgood.org/join/find-organization and make the holiday a day of service!
- Sign up to receive daily challenges to strengthen your community during DoSomething.org’s National Week of Action January 16-21.
- Use the day to celebrate National Mentoring Month. Honor mentors in your community, recruit new mentors, provide training to mentoring programs or encourage mentor pairs to serve together.
- Host a Sunday Supper to encourage people to share a meal and discuss issues that affect their communities, to increase racial and cultural understanding, and to promote unity.
- Help your students understand Dr. King’s vision with free, easy-to-use resources created by the Corporation for National and Community Service and Scholastic.
- Reuse your boxes from all your online shopping for the holidays, or any other cardboard box you may have, to donate your unwanted household items. Visit GiveBackBox.com to generate and print a label to mail your donations to Goodwill for free.
- Disney, ABC and First Book invite you to join the fourth annual “Magic of Storytelling” campaign between now and March 31 to share the magic of books with kids in your community.
List courtesy of Youth Service America.