The Virginia Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) Office in the Virginia Department of Social Services is looking for an AmeriCorps VISTA leader. The CSBG Office is dedicated to helping individuals and families move from poverty to self-sufficiency. This mission is fully aligned with the anti-poverty mission of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, which is the key reason that the Virginia CSBG office serves as an intermediary for a large and diverse VISTA program. The Virginia Community Action VISTA program became an Intermediary site in 2016, starting with 7 host sites and 7 members. In two years, the program has grown to 12 host sites and 18 VISTA members. Some members serve at community-based nonprofit Community Action Agencies across Virginia that address issues such as ex-offender re-entry, neighborhood revitalization, hunger, education, and community and economic development. Other VISTA members work on system-level anti-poverty initiatives (food security, the opioid crisis, etc.) at the Virginia Department of Social Services in Richmond.
As a second year AmeriCorps member, the VISTA Leader will be responsible for recruitment, training, orientation, resource acquisition, and ongoing support for all national service members serving with the Community Action VISTA Program. The VISTA Leader reports to the Coordinator of the VISTA program in the CSBG office located in Richmond, VA.
- Manage the overall success of the AmeriCorps VISTA Program by coordinating and reviewing data submitted by VISTA Members
- Lead and coordinate recruitment efforts for all Community Action VISTA sites
- Provide technical support to VISTA member applicants throughout the recruitment process
- Organize and conduct orientations for new VISTA members
- Provide support to current VISTA members, including mentoring, leading team meetings, and seeking additional resources to aid VISTA members’ professional development
- Counsel VISTA members during exit and transition planning
- Educate staff and community members about national service programs and their benefits
- Plan and coordinate special service events that engage VISTA members
This is a full-time national service position that provides a living allowance of approximately $14,500 over the course of one year, plus a $5,730 education award at the end of a successful term of service. Health insurance is not available but some health coverage to help with the cost of co-pays and other medical expenses is available to VISTA members. Childcare assistance is available to VISTA Members who qualify.
This position is based in Richmond, one of the most exciting and growing urban areas on the east coast. Richmond’s cost of living is reasonable and it continues to show up on more and more lists of “best places to live”. This VISTA leader works from the downtown Richmond office of the Virginia Department of Social Services and is a key member of the Division of Community and Volunteer Services. Subsidized parking is provided.
The VISTA Leader will be thoroughly committed to Community Action’s mission and to national service. All candidates should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Has completed at least one year of service as an AmeriCorps or Peace Corps Member
- At least 18 years of age.
- A United States Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
You can apply today on the My AmeriCorps site!
Leave a Reply