National Service Awards
AmeriCorps and AmeriCorps Seniors members serving in Virginia who have performed outstanding service to their communities are honored annually through this recognition program.
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2023 National Service Awards!!
The Awards are presented in the following categories:
- AmeriCorps State
- AmeriCorps VISTA
- AmeriCorps Seniors
- AmeirCorps/AmeriCorps Seniors Alum
These awards are presented in partnership by the Virginia Service Commission and the Virginia Service Foundation.
How do I submit a nomination?
- Please submit all nominations through the online form
- The nomination process for the 2023 National Service Awards will be open until March 20, 2023. Honorees will be notified in April, and recognized at the 2023 Virginia Volunteerism Summit on May 10th.
- The questions on the nomination form are available in the program information, to help prepare your answers before submitting the form.
- If you are unable to submit the form online, contact Alex Vanik at email@example.com
How long is the nomination period?
- Nominations will be accepted January 23rd-March 20th, 2023. All nominations must be RECEIVED, submitted online, no later than 5:00 p.m., on the deadline date. Any incomplete nomination or nomination received after 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date will not be considered.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companion, Foster Grandparent, or RSVP awards?
- Program staff, partners, community members, and other national service members and volunteers are all welcome to submit nominations. Nominations will not be accepted from immediate family members.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the National Service Alum award?
- Anyone other than immediate family may nominate someone for the category of National Service Alum. Alums must currently reside in Virginia, however, they may have served elsewhere.
How many total awards will be given?
- A total of four awards will be given:
- AmeriCorps State Member of the Year
- AmeriCorps VISTA Member of the Year
- AmeriCorps Senior Member of the Year
- National Service Alum of the Year
May I nominate someone for a category that is not on the nomination form?
- Nominees must be eligible under one of the identified four categories.
Who reviews the nominations?
- Nominations are reviewed by members of the Governor's Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism and the Virginia Service Foundation.
When will I be notified regarding the status of my nomination?
- You will receive email confirmation that your nomination has been successfully submitted.
- You will be notified if your nominee has been selected as an honoree in April 2023.
What are the details regarding the 2023 Virginia National Service Awards Ceremony?
- Winners will be recognized during the virtual 2023 Volunteerism Summit on May 10th, and invited to be recognized at the Governor's Awards event in September.
If I have further questions, who may I call or e-mail for assistance?
- Contact Alex Vanik at firstname.lastname@example.org