National Service Awards
AmeriCorps and AmeriCorps Seniors members serving in Virginia who have performed outstanding service to their communities are honored annually through this recognition program. Honorees this year were celebrated during AmeriCorps Week 2022.
The Awards are presented in the following categories:
- AmeriCorps State (Robert E. Wone Award for Exemplary Service)
- AmeriCorps VISTA
- AmeriCorps Seniors (Foster Grandparents)
- AmeriCorps Seniors (RSVP)
- AmeriCorps Seniors (Senior Companions)
- National Service Alum
These awards are presented by the Virginia Service Commission and the Virginia Service Foundation.
2022 Guidelines & Questions (Note: The 2022 nomination period has ended.)
How do I submit a nomination?
- Online form
- The nomination process for the 2022 National Service Awards began in late 2021. The nomination period was November 30, 2021 - January 4, 2022. Nominations must be submitted through the online form.
- Helpful Tip: Save your submission entries in a word processing application such as Microsoft Word, then copy and paste the entries into the online form. Each answer is limited to 300 words.
- If you are unable to submit the form online, contact Leanne Costantinidis, email@example.com.
How long is the nomination period?
- The nomination period was November 30, 2021-January 4, 2022. All nominations must be RECEIVED, submitted online, no later than 5:00 p.m., on the deadline date. Any incomplete nomination or nomination received after 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date will not be considered.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companion, Foster Grandparent, or RSVP awards?
- The nominator must be a current Virginia grantee, sponsor, or site supervisor in one of the following five (5) national service categories: AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, or RSVP.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the National Service Alum award?
- Anyone may nominate someone for the category of National Service Alum. Alums must currently reside in Virginia, however, they may have served elsewhere.
How many total awards will be given?
- A total of six (6) awards will be given:
- AmeriCorps State Member of the Year (Robert E. Wone Award)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Member of the Year
- Foster Grandparent of the Year
- Senior Companion of the Year
- Retired and Senior Volunteer of the Year
- National Service Alum of the Year
May I nominate someone for a category that is not on the nomination form?
- Nominees must be eligible under one of the following six (6) categories: AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, RSVP, or National Service Alum.
How many nominations may I submit?
- For National Service Members:
- Each program may submit only ONE (1) nomination per stream of service (for example, if your organization has AmeriCorps VISTA, AmeriCorps State and RSVP members serving, you can nominate one person for each of those categories.) Nominees must be currently serving in Virginia.
- For National Service Alums:
- The nominator may submit one nomination. There are no restrictions as to who can nominate an Alum.
Who reviews the nominations?
- Nominations are reviewed by members of the Governor's Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism.
When will I be notified regarding the status of my nomination?
- You will receive email confirmation that your nomination has been successfully submitted.
- You will be notified if your nominee has been selected as an honoree at the end of January 2022.
What are the details regarding the 2022 Virginia National Service Awards Ceremony?
- Winners will be recognized in March.
If I have further questions, where may I call or e-mail for assistance?
- Contact Leanne Costantinidis, firstname.lastname@example.org.