National Service Awards
AmeriCorps and Senior Corps members serving in Virginia who have performed outstanding service to their communities are honored annually at the Virginia Volunteerism and Service Conference. Note: This year, due to the cancellation of the 2020 Virginia Volunteerism Conference, winners will be honored at a later date Stay tuned for updates. NEW INFO - The deadline for nominations has been extended to Friday, April 24, 2020. Read about last year's winners!
The 2020 Awards will be presented in the following categories:
- AmeriCorps State (Robert E. Wone Award for Exemplary Service)
- AmeriCorps VISTA
- Senior Corps (Foster Grandparents)
- Senior Corps (RSVP)
- Senior Corps (Senior Companions)
- National Service Alum
These awards are presented by the Virginia Service Foundation and the Governor's Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism.
Guidelines & Questions
How do I submit a nomination?
- Online form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2020vanatlserviceawards
- The nomination process for the 2020 National Service Awards will open February 4, 2020. The deadline for submissions is Friday, April 24, 2020. Once the nomination process begins again, nominators will be able to submit their nomination online.
- Helpful Tip: Save your submission entries in a word processing application such as Microsoft Word, then copy and paste the entries into the online form. Each answer is limited to 300 words.
- If you are unable to submit the form online you may email the completed form to email@example.com by the deadline.
How long is the nomination period?
- The nomination period begins February 4, 2020, and lasts until 5pm, April 24, 2020. All nominations must be RECEIVED, submitted online, no later than 5:00 p.m., on the deadline date. Any incomplete nomination or nomination received after 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date will not be considered.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companion, Foster Grandparent, or RSVP awards?
- The nominator must be a current Virginia grantee, sponsor, or site supervisor in one of the following five (5) national service categories: AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, or RSVP.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the National Service Alum award?
- Anyone may nominate someone for the category of National Service Alum. Alums must currently reside in Virginia, however, they may have served elsewhere.
How many total awards will be given?
- A total of six (6) awards will be given:
- AmeriCorps State Member of the Year (Robert E. Wone Award)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Member of the Year
- Foster Grandparent of the Year
- Senior Companion of the Year
- Retired and Senior Volunteer of the Year
- National Service Alum of the Year
May I nominate someone for a category that is not on the nomination form?
- Nominees must be eligible under one of the following six (6) categories: AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, RSVP, or National Service Alum.
How many nominations may I submit?
- For National Service Members:
- Each program site may submit only ONE (1) nomination per stream of service (for example, if your organization has AmeriCorps VISTA, AmeriCorps State and RSVP members serving, you can nominate one person for each of those categories.)
- For National Service Alums:
- The nominator may submit one nomination. There are no restrictions as to who can nominate an Alum.
Who reviews the nominations?
- Nominations are reviewed by members of the Governor's Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism.
When will I be notified regarding the status of my nomination?
- You will be notified if your nominee has been selected as an award winner in May.
What are the details regarding the 2020 Virginia National Service Awards Ceremony?
- Due to the Cancellation of the 2020 Virginia Volunteerism Conference, the Virginia Service Foundation is making a decision on how awardees will be honored. Stay tuned.
If I have further questions, where may I call or e-mail for assistance?
- Call 804-726-7065 or mail firstname.lastname@example.org.