National Service Awards
AmeriCorps and AmeriCorps Seniors members serving in Virginia who have performed outstanding service to their communities are honored annually at the Virginia Volunteerism and Service Conference. The nomination process for the 2021 Virginia National Service Awards has now closed. Read about this year's winners!
The 2021 Awards were presented in the following categories:
- AmeriCorps State (Robert E. Wone Award for Exemplary Service)
- AmeriCorps VISTA
- AmeriCorps Seniors (Foster Grandparents)
- AmeriCorps Seniors (RSVP)
- AmeriCorps Seniors (Senior Companions)
- National Service Alum
These awards are presented by the Virginia Service Foundation and the Governor's Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism.
Guidelines & Questions
How do I submit a nomination?
- Online form
- The nomination process for the 2022 National Service Awards begins in February 2022. The deadline for submissions is in March. Nominations must be submitted through the online form.
- Helpful Tip: Save your submission entries in a word processing application such as Microsoft Word, then copy and paste the entries into the online form. Each answer is limited to 300 words.
- If you are unable to submit the form online you may email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
How long is the nomination period?
- The nomination period begins February 2022, and lasts until March 2022. All nominations must be RECEIVED, submitted online, no later than 5:00 p.m., on the deadline date. Any incomplete nomination or nomination received after 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date will not be considered.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companion, Foster Grandparent, or RSVP awards?
- The nominator must be a current Virginia grantee, sponsor, or site supervisor in one of the following five (5) national service categories: AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, or RSVP.
Who is eligible to nominate someone for the National Service Alum award?
- Anyone may nominate someone for the category of National Service Alum. Alums must currently reside in Virginia, however, they may have served elsewhere.
How many total awards will be given?
- A total of six (6) awards will be given:
- AmeriCorps State Member of the Year (Robert E. Wone Award)
- AmeriCorps VISTA Member of the Year
- Foster Grandparent of the Year
- Senior Companion of the Year
- Retired and Senior Volunteer of the Year
- National Service Alum of the Year
May I nominate someone for a category that is not on the nomination form?
- Nominees must be eligible under one of the following six (6) categories: AmeriCorps State, AmeriCorps VISTA, Senior Companions, Foster Grandparents, RSVP, or National Service Alum.
How many nominations may I submit?
- For National Service Members:
- Each program site may submit only ONE (1) nomination per stream of service (for example, if your organization has AmeriCorps VISTA, AmeriCorps State and RSVP members serving, you can nominate one person for each of those categories.)
- For National Service Alums:
- The nominator may submit one nomination. There are no restrictions as to who can nominate an Alum.
Who reviews the nominations?
- Nominations are reviewed by members of the Governor's Advisory Board on Service and Volunteerism.
When will I be notified regarding the status of my nomination?
- You will be notified if your nominee has been selected as an award winner in mid-April.
What are the details regarding the 2022 Virginia National Service Awards Ceremony?
- Winners are traditionally recognized at the Virginia Volunteerism Conference in May.
If I have further questions, where may I call or e-mail for assistance?
- Call 804-726-7065 or mail email@example.com.